sábado, 27 de dezembro de 2008

Lesson 7

Point out....be up.... be over….. on time…..in time to… get better, worse, etc…get sick, well, tired, busy, wet, etc…. had better.. would rather… call it a day/night… figure out.. think of
.
To point out: to show, to indicate, to bring to one’s attention (S)
Ø What important buildings did the tour guide point out to you?
Ø The teacher pointed out the mistakes in my composition.
Ø A friend pointed the famous actor out to me.
.
To be up: to expire, to be finished
This idiom is used only with the word time as the subject.
Ø “The time is up,” the teacher said at the end of the test period.
Ø We have to leave the tennis court because our hour is up, some other people want to use it now.
.
To be over: to be finished, to end (also: to be through)
This idiom is used for activities and events.
Ø After the dance was over, we all went to a restaurant.
Ø The meeting was through ten minutes earlier than everyone expected.
.
On time: exactly at the correct time, punctually
Ø I thought that Margaret would arrive late, but she was right on time.
Ø Did you get to work on time this morning, or did rush hour traffic delay you?
.
In time to: before the time necessary to do something
Ø We entered the theater just in time to see the beginning of the movie.
Ø The truck was not able to stop in time to prevent an accident.
.
To get better, worse, etc.: to become better, worse, etc.
Ø Heather has been sick for a month, but now she is getting better.
Ø This medicine isn’t helping me. Instead of getting better, I’m getting worse.
.
To get sick, well, tired, busy, wet, etc.: to become sick, well, tired, busy, wet, etc.
This idiom consists of a combination of get and various adjectives.
Ø Gerald got sick last week and has been in bed since that time.
Ø Every afternoon I get very hungry, so I eat a snack.
.
Had better: should, ought to, be advisable to
This idiom is most often used in contracted form (I’d better).
Ø I think you’d better speak to Mr. White right away about this matter.
Ø The doctor told the patient that he’d better go home and rest.
.
Would rather: prefer to (also: would just as soon)
Ø Would you rather have the appointment this Friday or next Monday?
Ø I would just as soon go for a walk as watch TV right now.
.
To call it a day / night: to stop working for the rest of the day / night
Ø Herb tried to repair his car engine all morning before he called it a day and went fishing.
Ø We’ve been working hard on this project all evening; let’s call it a night.
.
To figure out: to solve, to find a solution (S), to understand (S)
Ø How long did it take you to figure out the answer to the math problem?
Ø I was never able to figure it out.
.
To think of: to have a (good or bad) opinion of
This idiom is often used in the negative or with adjectives such as much and highly.
Ø I don’t think much of him as a baseball player; he’s a slow runner and a poor hitter.
Ø James thinks highly of his new boss who is a kind and helpful person.
.
E X E R C I S E S
.
Choose the appropriate idiomatic expression to substitute for the italicized word or words in each sentence below. Idioms from previous lessons are indicated by number.
.
1. We were able to visit the zoo when the animals were very active.
a. would rather
b. had better
c. got to (lesson 6)
.
2. All of this work in the garden has tired me out, let’s stop working.
a. be over
b. call it a day
c. be up
.
3. I can’t understand Professor Jones at all, he’s a very good teacher, but
sometimes he talks foolishly.
a. figure out
b. make up my mind about (lesson 5)
c. point out
.
4. I prefer to eat in tonight than to eat out, what do you think?
a. would rather
b. had better
c. so far (lesson 4)
.
5. The police officer put a parking ticket on the car because the time on the
meter had expired.
a. was over
b. was not on time
c. was up
.
6. I don’t have a good opinion of our new neighbors; they’re not very friendly.
a. make friends with (lesson 6)
b. get better with
c. think much of
.
7. This problem is too difficult for me to solve by myself.
a. to point out
b. to be over
c. to figure out
.
8. We were late to the party, but we got there before the time to eat dinner.
a. to wait on
b. in time to
c. on time
.
9. Jan couldn’t wait for the meeting to end so that she could go home.
a. to call off (lesson 5)
b. to be through
c. to get worse
.
10. It was supposed to be a surprise, but Larry knew about the birthday party from
the beginning.
a. all along (lesson 2)
b. on time
c. to call it a night
.
Fill in each blank with the appropriate form of an idiomatic expression form this unit only.
.
Sue: Kay, if we’re going to get to a movie___________ find good seats, we
______ hurry to decide what to see.
Kay: But we can’t agree on the two possibilities!
Sue: I know. I want to see the old Humphrey Bogart film, but you _____________
see the movie with the famous actor Guy Matson in it.
Kay: I can’t _________________ your taste in men, Sue. All the women that I
know just love Guy Matson!
Sue: Kay, let me __________________ again that I’m not a typical American
woman. My mother is German, you know.
Kay: You like to remind me of that, don’t you? Anyway, I don’t ___________ much
____________ old movies, so forget about Humphrey Bogart.
Sue: Okay, okay! Let’s go down to the car and make up our minds while driving.
Kay: Good idea!

Nenhum comentário: